Helpful kitchen tools:
Vegan Rice Pilaf
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup long-grain brown Basmati rice
- 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 heaping tbsp blanched almond slices, crumbled
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking oil spray; place parsnip cubes on tray. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil, as well as salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Let cool; meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, using 1 ½ cups vegetable broth and 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- While rice is cooking, sauté onion in ½ cup vegetable broth, over medium-high heat; stir occasionally.
- When onion begins to appear translucent, add green pepper and cook until almost all of the liquid is absorbed; remove from heat.
- Once parsnip cubes have cooled, mix with 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth; puree with a food processor.
- Place pureed mixture in a small bowl; using a metal fork, mix the puree with the rice until well combined, then mix in 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth.
- Combine parsnip-rice mixture with almond slices, onion-and-green-pepper mixture, and salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with a favorite herb, such as thyme, if desired.
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, you can support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. Thank you so much.
Want to go shopping with a dietitian? Here’s your chance! I just opened up my very own storefront, full of plant-based meal plans, grocery lists, recipe books, and more!