This four-ingredient air fryer butternut squash is ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! Plus, each serving boasts 3 grams of filling fiber.
You’ll love how easy this crispy side dish is to make, using fan-favorite spices like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice! I know, I know, butternut squash is traditionally a fall dish. But I love it anytime of year.
This air fryer butternut squash cooks up easily and quickly in the air fryer, a must-have kitchen tool. It’s a great way to make delicious vegetable sides in a pinch. Not to mention, you don’t need to use a lot of oil. So it can be a healthier cooking method than other options.
I love enjoying roasted butternut squash as a flavorful side dish or tossed into salads. Ready to learn how to make it? Now, let me tell you how!
You don’t need a lot to make air fryer butternut squash. With the exception of the squash, you most likely already have the ingredients ready to go in your pantry. Here’s a list of what you need:
- Butternut squash: This recipe calls for four cups of butternut squash, which you will get from a 2.5-pound squash. Before making this dish, you’ll need to peel the squash before cutting it into cubes.
- Olive oil: This gives the squash extra flavor when roasted, and it helps make it crispy when cooked in the air fryer.
- Spices: I used cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to add flavor––without any added sugar––to the squash. The warm flavors of these spices are perfect for anytime of year and in particular the fall and winter months. You can switch things up and use almost any spice to add flavor.
Helpful kitchen tools
Having the right kitchen gadgets on hand can make meal prep so much easier.
- Air fryer: This one’s a no brainer!
- Chef’s knife: You’ll need a quality chef’s knife to cut through the butternut squash.
- Vegetable peeler: I find it much easier to use a vegetable peeler, versus a knife, to peel the squash.
- Silicone spatula: This is super helpful for getting the squash situated just right in the air fryer.
Preparing air fryer butternut squash is really easy! Firstly, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, prep the squash. While the air fryer is preheating, get the squash ready for roasting. Place the squash cubes in a large bowl, and then drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, then toss well until the oil and spices are spread throughout.
Finally, cook the squash in the air fryer. Transfer the butternut squash into the air fryer’s rotating basket and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
The best way to cook butternut squash in the air fryer is to dice it and then combine it with oil and spices beforehand. This allows it to get extra crispy and flavorful. The smaller the butternut squash cubes, the crispier they will get in the air fryer.
You do not need to peel butternut squash before cooking. In fact, the peel of butternut squash is edible. In this recipe, I peeled the squash before roasting to make the finished product more tender.
The naturally sweet and savory flavors of butternut squash make a perfect pairing for just about anything. It makes for an excellent side with chicken or fish, as well as mixed dishes and plant-based proteins. You can serve it with other types of vegetables like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or carrots. Additionally, it’s tasty when you combine it with salads or mix it into soups.
Butternut squash is a nutrition powerhouse! It’s rich in antioxidants, known for their disease-fighting properties. You will also get a variety of vitamins and minerals, like potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and fiber from eating butternut squash.
It is very easy to store leftover butternut squash. Simply place it in a sealed container and keep in the fridge. Enjoy within 3-5 days. I do not recommend freezing air fryer butternut squash.
More healthy squash recipes
Can’t get enough aifryer butternut squash? Try my other delicious squash recipes.
- Butternut Squash Challah French Toast Casserole
- Butternut Squash with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Spaghetti Squash Marinara
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash
I hope you love making butternut squash in the air fryer. This recipe is fool proof, and you’ll have a delicious, healthy side dish in no time. Now, give it a try and let me know what you think!
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed, peeled, and diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place squash and place on a nonstick spray.
- Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cook for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, you can support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. Thank you so much.
Want to go shopping with a dietitian? Here’s your chance! I just opened up my very own storefront, full of plant-based meal plans, grocery lists, recipe books, and more!