This delicious cherry pre-workout smoothie is sure to fuel your next workout. The antioxidant-packed beverage needs just six ingredients and is ready in just a few minutes!
Looking for something energizing before you work out? This cherry pre-workout smoothie is full of ingredients that are rich in carbohydrates and protein. These, my friends, are the two important macronutrients that you need for workout energy and recovery. Not to mention you can whip this drink up in no time, making it perfect for when you’re in a time crunch.
Ready to learn how to make this tasty and energizing pre-workout smoothie? Here we go!
Pre-Workout Smoothie Ingredients
This recipe follows the perfect formula for a pre-workout smoothie. It provides protein, carbs, healthy fats, caffeine, potassium, and antioxidants. Yup, that’s pretty much everything you’ll need for your workout!
The smoothie also provides important before exercising! Here’s a list of what you should have ready to make it:
- Vanilla bean: You’ll need one vanilla bean for the smoothie, which adds sweetness without any added sugar. If you don’t have a vanilla bean on hand, you can replace it with ½ tsp of vanilla extract.
- Cherry juice: This is the key ingredient! Opt for unsweetened juice, as it’s sweet enough on its own. Cherry juice is great for pre-workout smoothies. Not only is it high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, it provides the electrolyte potassium, which can help your muscles perform at their best.
- Espresso: Add a little caffeine magic to this smoothie for some workout power!
- Almond butter: This nut butter brings healthy fats and protein to the smoothie. As these nutrients help you stay fuller for longer, they allow the smoothie to carry you through a full workout. Don’t have almond butter on hand? Sunflower butter would also do.
- Greek yogurt: I recommend using 2 percent fat Greek yogurt. This adds an extra dose of protein to the recipe.
- Banana: I don’t add ice to most of my smoothies. Instead, I use frozen banana to make the drink extra creamy. The banana also provides potassium.
You’ll love how simple making a cherry pre-workout smoothie is!
Start by prepping the vanilla bean. Place it on a cutting board, and use a knife to slice the bean open lengthwise. Pull the bean apart, and use a small spoon to scrape away the seeds. Then, set the seeds aside.
Next, it’s time to add the ingredients to a blender; alternatively, you can place the items in a pitcher and use an immersion blender to blend. Place the cherry juice,
yogurt, vanilla bean seeds, and banana into the blender jug or pitcher.
Blend the smoothie until your desired consistency is reached. If you want it to be thinner, you can add more liquid. To make it thicker, add ice or extra yogurt.
Serve the smoothie immediately after you make it.
I recommend drinking it 30 to 60 minutes before your workout!
Drinking fruit smoothies may help with muscle gain, as long as they’re packed with the right nutrition. The best smoothies for muscle building contain protein. Additionally, they should be rich in other energy-boosting and nutrient-rich ingredients. Fruit, oats, avocado, and chia or flax seeds are examples of muscle-fueling foods that you can add to smoothies.
Yes, smoothies are great for pre-workout. Many people enjoy drinking them before a workout because they’re easy to make and typically easy to digest. They’re a simple way to consume nutrients that enhance workouts and muscle recovery.
It is best to make the smoothie with a frozen banana, as it helps to make it creamy and cold! If you don’t have a frozen banana on hand, you can use a fresh one and add some ice.
You can make this smoothie vegan with a simple adjustment. The only tweak that you would need to make is replacing the yogurt with a plant-based option. Since the Greek yogurt is a major source of protein in this recipe, you’d want to choose a vegan yogurt that contains protein—such as soy or almond milk yogurt. Make sure to read the nutrition label to find out how much protein is included. Another option would be to replace the yogurt with a scoop of vegan protein powder. In that case, you may need to add more liquid, such as a plant-based milk.
More smoothie recipes
Can’t get enough smoothies? Here are more delicious and easy smoothie recipes to add to your routine:
- High Protein Vanilla Smoothie
- Wild Blueberry Cauliflower Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate Prune Smoothie
- Wild Blueberry Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Healthy Coffee Shake
- Berry Pistachio Smoothie Bowl
I hope that you loved this tasty cherry pre-workout smoothie! Note that you can enjoy it whether you’re working out or not. Have it as a snack or a quick breakfast on a busy morning. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
Cherry Pre-Workout Smoothie
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup unsweetened cherry juice
- 3¼ ounces liquid espresso
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ¾ cup plain 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 banana peeled, frozen
- Place vanilla bean on a cutting board, and use a knife to slice the bean open lengthwise. Pull apart the bean, and use a small spoon to scrape away the seeds; set seeds aside.
- Place cherry juice, espresso, almond butter, yogurt, vanilla bean seeds, and banana into blender jug. Close lid securely. Alternatively, you may pour ingredients into a pitcher and blend with an immersion blender.
- Blend, and serve immediately.
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, you can support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. Thank you so much.
Want to go shopping with a dietitian? Here’s your chance! I just opened up my very own storefront, full of plant-based meal plans, grocery lists, recipe books, and more!